Formative Assessment Through Pictures

How do I assess learning when students are not strong readers and writers? With pictures and questions!

Not all students feel confident or comfortable with writing about their learning. That doesn't mean they aren't paying attention, nor learning. To help them be successful in the classroom, I have them share their learning with me via pictures and oral answers to questions. This also helps build trust between us when they know I am willing to meet them where they are at.



I actually like this method so much, that I routinely have students draw pictures to explain their learning. Whether they prefer to draw on paper or digitally, I find engagement is high, and learning is expressed.


Creating comic strips is another way for them to visually show me their ideas and learning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment